Monday, November 15, 2010

A late summer holiday

Gilshochill, Summerston. Way-places that give you ideas and feelings because of where you are going whenever you see the names.

Garelocheadhead, Ardlui. Feeling-of-getting-there-places that you might even settle for getting off at.

Crianlarich. “The front two coaches are for Oban, the two rear coaches for Fort William and Mallaig.” Turning left here is new territory as I have never been beyond Cruachan to Oban.

At Tyndrum, the ground is still white with a hard frost, in contrast with the Meadows in Edinburgh where the sun had cleared the grass by 10:30. Loch Awe wears a necklace of ice around its edges and it begins to look very grey.

Taynuilt, and the rain comes on. Again on this trip, I look convincingly old and am not asked for proof of age for my Club55 ticket.

Oban. Another passing-through place best known for its ferries to nicer places. But because everyone has said it is a bit of a dump I am pleasantly surprised, and the fish (local I assume) and chips are excellent.

I pass through.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Oban. Also good for whisky :)