Sunday, November 14, 2010

Disconnects

As my first mobile phone, vintage 2002, ages, there is an inevitability that its replacement will be able to do more than this one does. It might even access the internet, which would be both good and bad.

By the way, this in not a Christmas present hint to my daughters!

I’ve tried the idea of a weekly e-sabbath, not connecting to the internet for one day each week, but I either forget or feel the need to keep going with clearing my inbox. I remember telling Pastor Job in Uganda, whose day off was a Monday, to turn his new mobile phone off on Mondays, his wife loved the suggestion but Job himself couldn’t bring himself to do it as he is supposed to be available. Needless to say I found him working the next Monday.

So instead I plan to disconnect for a 6 day slot each quarter during 2011. It doesn’t mean actually going away, but that will obviously help to add value. The first one starts tomorrow, and I am off to Dervaig on Mull. I will be taking three good books and my Sangstream song words to learn.

No comments: