Monday, February 16, 2009

Meet Mr Gum, my alternative atavar

So this is the character who reminds my younger daughter of me!


Mr Gum was a fierce old man with a red beard and two bloodshot eyes that stared out at you like an octopus curled up in a bad cave. He was a complete horror who hated children, animals, fun and corn on the cob. What he liked was snoozing in bed all day, being lonely and scowling at things.

He slept and scowled and picked his nose and ate it. Most of the townsfolk of Lamonic Bibber avoided him and the children were terrified of him. Their mothers would say, ‘Go to bed when I tell you or Mr Gum will come and shout at your toys and leave slime on your books!’ That usually did the trick.

Mr Gum lived in a great big house in the middle of town. Actually it wasn’t that great, because he had turned it into a disgusting pigsty. The rooms were filled with junk and pizza boxes. Empty milk bottles lay around like wounded soldiers in a war against milk, and there were old newspapers from years and years ago with headlines like VIKINGS INVADE BRITAIN and WORLD’S FIRST NEWSPAPER INVENTED TODAY. Insects lived in the kitchen cupboards, not just small insects but great big ones with faces and names and jobs.

Mr Gum’s bedroom was absolutely grimsters. The wardrobe contained so much mould and old cheese that there was hardly any room for his moth-eaten clothes, and the bed was never made. (I don’t mean that the duvet was never put back on the bed, I mean the bed had never even been MADE. Mr Gum hadn’t gone to the bother of assembling it. He had just chucked all the bits of wood on the floor and dumped a mattress on top.) There was broken glass in the windows and the ancient carpet was the colour of unhappiness and smelt like a toilet. Anyway, I could be here all day going on about Mr Gum’s house but I think you’ve got the idea. Mr Gum was an absolute lazer who couldn’t be bothered with niceness and tidying and brushing his teeth, or anyone else’s for that matter.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

May I just say it was only the picture (oh dear that doesn't even help!)...although the pile of bottles does sound a bit similar to your recycling pile ;o)

Alison x
(not the Prince's Charities, I have no other Google address yet!)

Neil D said...

Sometimes one should stop digging a hole ... so I'm "a fierce old man with a red beard and two bloodshot eyes that stare out at you like an octopus curled up in a bad cave" ... and my flat has "empty milk bottles [which lie] around like wounded soldiers in a war against milk."

But the similarity stops there? I'm relieved that's all I have in common!

Dx

Jim said...

Oh I don't know....

Jim said...

Oh I don't know....

Jim said...

Oh I don't know....

Jim said...

Sorry for the repetitive posts - trying to get back to your blog and kept pressing "back" - didn't realise it would reprint my comment. D'oh!